General Description?: Food Pantry Volunteer Team members work with HACC staff to receive and sort food donations and prepare food packages for distribution to clients. Volunteer team members help keep the Food Pantry well-organized and operating efficiently.
Time Commitment: ?Must be able to keep a consistent schedule and have availability during at least one of the time slots listed below.
Mondays: 12:00pm - 4:30pm
Wednesdays: 8:00am - 12:30pm
Fridays: 8:00am - 12:00pm*
*Note: Individuals who desire to volunteer during the Friday shift need to be able to lift 50lbs as they will be unloading the truck.
- Unload deliveries from Greater Chicago Area Food Depository Truck and other Pantry partners
- Sort and clean fresh produce
- Sort, stock, and rotate food shelves
- Date food products
- Dispose of expired food
- Reorganize food and supplies, as needed
- Clean and disinfect shelves and floor
- Break down cardboard boxes for weekly recycling
- Prepare food bags for distribution
- Assist in distribution of food to clients
- Assist with paperwork, as assigned
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Ability to lift boxed food items (10 – 50 lbs.)
- Able to work as part of a volunteer team
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment
- Positive attitude
- Able to keep to consistent schedule