Location: 10135 89 st., Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
People Required: 20
Estimated Time Required: Ongoing
More information: http://bgcbigs.ca/
Must be verified by:
Overview: The Youth in Care/Circle programs are inclusive youth mentoring programs designed to give young people the confidence to achieve more. The programs pair youth (Littles) with positive, understanding adults (Bigs) who encourage them to find strength from within. Founded on the belief that people are empowered through consistent and supportive relationships, these programs are focused on young people who have faced significant challenges in life. Bigs and Littles participate in a variety of activities together - everything from riding bikes, skating, reading, working on homework, cooking, and playing video games to just talking and sharing with each other.
Mentees: Youth between 6 and 24 years old who are interested in building a friendship and spending time with a consistent, dependable adult role model. Some, but not all of the youth in these programs might:
• Live with their biological families or in foster homes, group homes, or kinship placements
• Be marginalized and/or discriminated against
• Live in poverty
• Struggle in school or with peers
• Experience violence at home or in the community
• Have had contact with the police
• Struggle with their mental health or substance use
Mentors: Anyone over 18 who is sensitive other cultures, backgrounds, and life circumstances. Successful mentors in these programs have the following qualities:
• Reliable and committed
• Flexible, able to adapt to changes, and willing to accommodate for their mentee's needs
• Eager to have fun with their mentee
Minimum Commitment: 1 hour every week or 2 hours every other week for a minimum of one year.
Availability: Edmonton and area, depending where you and your mentee live
Where & When: In the community during evenings and/or weekends
• Police check and child welfare check
• 2 hour interview
• 2 hour volunteer training seminar
• 3 hour Enhanced Youth in Care Training
• Online Alberta Mentoring Partnership Certificate
*Learn more about us and apply by contacting:
Talia Schewchuk Magat
Phone: (780) 822-2504
"Share GozAround to Earn your first Profile Badge
Your Personal Referral Link:
Share GozAround to help us build the world's largest online community of people who care. As a thank you, you will receive 50 BONUS POINTS for every new user your refer.
Use the buttons below to share your personalized referral link or copy and paste it wherever you like.