This is an opportunity to volunteer from home. Reporting to the Certified Listener Program Manager all volunteers are carefully screened and fully trained prior to taking emotional support chats. Throughout their volunteering experience, volunteers receive ongoing professional support and in-service educational sessions. Experienced volunteers gain many life and communication skills which translates into other aspects of their daily lives.
What will you do:
You will be an online chat responder providing emotional support on our online chat platform.
· Providing immediate and confidential support (chat, etc.) using agency procedures and policies
· Providing information and referrals when appropriate
· Understanding what to do if you are concerned about a person’s safety
· Work with callers/chatters, volunteers, and staff in a respectful and professional manner
· Letting callers know your listening and someone cares
· Letting the person know there is someone here to provide individual support
What will you NOT be doing:
· Certified Listeners are not therapists or hold themselves out to be
· Telling people what to do or how they should live their lives
· You are not providing crisis intervention
· You are not a providing addiction counselling
To work one 4-hour shift per week for a period of at least 3 months (or a comparable number of hours) after successful completion of screening and training.
There is flexibility in scheduling, and you will be able to choose weekly shifts that best suit you from six designated times.
To learn more about this volunteer opportunity visit https://certifiedlisteners.org/volunteers/
Certified Listeners Society
1235 Fairview St. Suite 314