Location: 16007 - 118th Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
People Required: 10
Estimated Time Required: Ongoing
More information: https://makeawishna.ca/get-involved/volunteer
Age: 18 To 99
Must be verified by:
Purpose of Position:
To assist the wish department in creating an unforgettable wish experience for a child that has been diagnosed with a critical illness.
A wish granter assistant team will meet with the wish child and his/her family to help determine the child’s likes and dislikes to plan special enhancements throughout the wish process. The team works under the supervision of the wish department staff to ensure every eligible child’s wish comes true.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities may include the following:
• Create and execute a personalized wish enhancement plan for the wish child’s wish and submit it to the
wish program department for approval.
• Complete and submit wish paperwork in a timely manner according to chapter guidelines.
• Solicit in-kind donations, ensuring Make-A-Wish resources are used wisely.
• Plan a wish reveal for each wish, as appropriate.
• Develop a positive rapport with the wish child and family.
• Act as a reliable, communicative, and productive member of the “wish team” by working closely with your
volunteer partner and the Wish Department staff to create the best possible wish experience for the
• Other duties may be assigned as deemed appropriate.
• Passion for children and comfort interacting with children ages 3 to 17.
• Creative thinker with desire to make each wish unique and magical.
• Excellent people skills with the ability to work with people from different backgrounds and children
diagnosed with critical illness
life-threatening medical conditions.
• Highly organized and detail-oriented.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Resourceful with a willingness to solicit in-kind donations.
Meetings may take place at the wish family’s home or at a neutral location, such as a restaurant or hospital. Typically, wish meetings are scheduled for weekday evenings or weekends based upon the schedules of the wish team and wish family. Wish enhancement parties may be planned for the wish family’s home or a nearby venue/restaurant.
• The average wish requires between 10-15 hours of volunteer work over a span of about 6-9 months.
Each wish can vary greatly in the time it takes to grant depending on the requested wish and wish family
• Agree to work on a minimum of two wishes per year.
• Complete official Make-A-Wish Wish Granter Assistant training.
• Attend continuing education courses, as offered by Make-A-Wish chapter staff.
• Ensure all photos and communications from the wish family before, during and after the wish are passed
along to the office.
"Share GozAround to Earn your first Profile Badge
Your Personal Referral Link:
Share GozAround to help us build the world's largest online community of people who care. As a thank you, you will receive 50 BONUS POINTS for every new user your refer.
Use the buttons below to share your personalized referral link or copy and paste it wherever you like.